Tuesday, October 27, 2009






Hi everyone! I realized I've never shown pictures of the area where I live, so that's what I'm going to do right now.

FJUT (Fujian University of Technology) has two campuses seperated by an hour's bus ride. I teach at one (the new one, which is still being constructed) and live at another (the old one, which has been around for hundreds of years). The old campus is near the heart of the city in Cangshan District. To reach the school, you must traverse down either New Student Street or Old Student Street.

Old Student Street is an average of 5 feet wide and a quarter of a mile long. It is stuffed to the gills little shops and shoppers. I took these pictures in mid-morning, which is the slowest part of the day. At rush hour or during peak shopping time, this street is so crowded that walking down it is like standing in line at the supermarket.

New Student Street is a little bigger (never gets less than 7 feet wide) and this is the route that vehicle traffic takes. Look at this picture. A bus goes down this street every 15 minutes. Can you imagine? A full size bus! I don't know how the incoming buses coordinate with the outgoing buses so they don't run into each other, but they seem to, somehow.

Despite the bustle below the school entrance, the atmosphere in campus housing is quiet and relaxing. There are numerous gardens with places to sit and enjoy a sunny afternoon.
This is the fifth floor of my apartment building. My door is the 2nd from the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment